Thursday 10 November 2011

Amy Brown Tattoos

Amy Brown Tattoos
Amy Brown, fantasy artist extraoidinaire, found her talents later in life but enjoyed a relatively quick success. At age 20, she was given the opportunity to paint her first fairy for a showpiece at the custom framing company she worked for. Her first attempt at this art was sold within just a few days. That was the springboard to the new career of the Amy Brown we all know and love to this day.

Amy says she has always had a fondness for fairies, her greatest inspiration being Brian Froud. Although from visiting her website and viewing her elaborate art may make you think it was all easy, Amy says she had to work at improving her art. "When I started painting, I was very stingy with color, mostly light washes; it developed from there as I got more comfortable with the brushes and pigments. When you paint as many pieces as I have, you have to get the hang of it at some point. I had always drawn, so that was easy--though I still have improved greatly since I started watercolors," she shared in an interview with me. I had had a recent discussion on my forum about using an artist's design for a tattoo and whether it was appropriate or not to adjust or change the picture to suit the desires of the collector. I asked Amy how she felt about this. She replied, "I have no problem with people customizing my work for their tattoos - they have to live with it, so they might as well get what they really want. Besides, I often have people ask to have tats designed especially for them, but I just don't have the time, so it works to just take a little from this one, a little from that, [etc]."

Does Amy herself have any tattoos? "I don't have any tattoos, because I can't decide on anything I like well enough. I'm extremely picky, so it would be big deal if I got one. At this time I'm leaning towards swirling henna colored patterns reminiscent of some of my paintings."

I asked Amy if she had any last words for those who have gotten or are thinking of getting an Amy Brown-inspired tattoo. She said, "If anyone gets an Amy Brown tattoo, please send in a picture---I love seeing what they look like!" Amy has a submission page on her website where her fans can send in photos of their tattoos. You can see the pictures already submitted on her tattoo page.








No comments:

Post a Comment